Advanced Information Management
The AIM Laboratory is loosely formed around the ideas of creating and managing information. The AIM group consists of Prof. Berman, Dr Kuttel, Prof. MacGregor, Prof. Marsden, Dr Potgieter and Dr Suleman. The research areas covered include databases, conceptual modelling, persistent programming languages, object-oriented databases, scientific computing, parallel and distributed computing, client/server computing, object technology, digital libraries, complex adaptive systems, distributed artificial intelligence, component-based software engineering and information retrieval.
Collaborative Visual Computing
The Collaborative Visual Computing (CVC) laboratory consists of four full time academic staff members (Prof. E. H. Blake, A/Prof. G. Marsden, Dr J. Gain and Dr P. Marais) and numerous research students. The group forms an integral part of the Telkom and Siemens Centre of Excellence in ATM and Broadband Networks and their Applications, a joint undertaking by the University of Cape Town, the University of the Western Cape and the University of Stellenbosch. The CVC lab brings together expertise in graphics, interface design and psychology. Typical areas of research include: virtual modelling, visualisation, mobile computer interfaces, scene rendering and collaboration in virtual environments. The lab is involved in work funded by a number of South African agencies, including the NRF, THRIP and the Innovation Fund (initiated by DACST). Industry sponsors of our research include Telkom, Siemens and Microsoft.
Data Network Architectures
The DNA Group consists of Professor Pieter Kritzinger, Adjunct Professor Andrew Hutchison, a previous graduate of the group and now working for T-systems (Pty) Ltd and Justin Kelleher, as team members. The DNA Laboratory specialises in the security, correctness analysis, performance analysis, design, specification and modelling of stochastic concurrent communicating systems (SCCS) in general, and telecommunication systems in particular.
|Grantholder||P S Kritzinger||170 000||272 697||50 942||493 639|
|E Blake||345 000||108 560||453 560|
|H Suleman||158 000||8 909||123 928||290 837|
|G Marsden||181 000||15 909||196 909|
|A Potgieter||90 000||17 543.86||107 543.86|
|S Berman||103 000||103 000|
|M Kuttel||23 000||23 000|
|P Marais||4 455||4 455|
|J Gain||1 591||1 591|
|Total||1 047 000||48 408||505 185||73 942||1 674 535|
- NRF = National Research Foundation, CoE = Telkom/Siemens/THRIP Centre of Excellence in Broadband and Wireless Communications and their Applications, URC = University Research Committee
- All figures are in South African Rands.
Editorships and Conference/Workshop Organisation
- Programme Co-Chair for AFRIGRAPH 2006: the 4th International Conference on Computer Graphics, Virtual Reality, Visualisation and Interaction in Africa.
- Treasurer for the World Association of Theoretically Oriented Chemists (WATOC) conference held at the Cape Town International Convention Centre on January 16-20, 2005.
- SIGGRAPH 2005 International Committee
- AFRIGRAPH Organization Committee in 2005
- Programme Chair: CHI-SA 2006
- Editorial Board - Asian Journal of Technology
- Columnist - Interactions
- Co-organiser of DSpace and Greenstone workshops in South Africa.
- de Wet, Nico and Pieter Kritzinger (2005) Using UML models for the performance analysis of network systems. Computer Networks 49(5):627-642.
- Eyambe, L. and H. Suleman (2005). A component assembly approach to digital library systems, South African Computer Journal, Vol. 35, pp. 59-68. ISSN 1015-7999.
- Gain, J., and P. Marais (2005) Warp Sculpting, IEEE Trans. on Visualization and Computer Graphics, pp 217-227, Vol 11, No 2, March/April 2005. ISSN: 1077-2626
- Jones, S., Jones, M., Marsden, G., Patel, D. and Cockburn, A. (2005). "An Evaluation of Integrated Zooming and Scrolling on Small Screens". International Journal of Human Computer Studies. 63 (3), pp. 271-303
- Kuttel, M., and K. J. Naidoo, Ramachandran Free Energy Surfaces for Disaccharides: Trehalose, a Case Study, Carbohyd. Res., 340, 875-879
- Kuttel, M., and K. J. Naidoo, Free Energy Surfaces for the .(1 .4)-Glycosidic Linkage: Implications for Polysaccharide Solution Structure and Dynamics, J. Phys. Chem. B, 109(15),7468-7474
- Kuttel, M., and K. J. Naidoo, Glycosidic Linkage Rotations Determine Amylose Stretching Mechanism, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 127, 12-13
- Landman, Jesse and Pieter Kritzinger (2005) Delay analysis of downlink IP traffic on UMTS mobile networks. Performance Evaluation 62(1-4):68-82.
- Ryndina, Ksenia and Pieter Kritzinger (2005) Analysis of Structured Use Case Models through Model Checking. South African Computer Journal(35):84-96.
- Suleman, H. (2005). Analysis and Evaluation of Service-Oriented Architectures for Digital Libraries, in Can Turker, Maristella Agosti, Hans-Jorg Schek (Eds.), Peer-to-Peer, Grid, and Service-Orientation in Digital Library Architectures, 6th Thematic Workshop of the EU Network of Excellence DELOS, Cagliari, Italy, June 24-25, 2004, Revised Selected Papers. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3664 Springer 2005, ISBN 3-540-28711-6, pp. 130-146.
- Arnab, Alapan and Andrew Hutchison (2005) Fairer Usage Contracts For DRM. In Proceedings Fifth ACM Workshop on Digital Rights Management, held in conjunction with CCS 2005, the Twelfth ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.
- Arnab, Alapan and Andrew Hutchison (2005) Extending ODRL to Enable Bi-Directional Communication. In Proceedings Second International ODRL Workshop, ADETTI / ISCTE, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Arnab, Alapan and Andrew Hutchison (2005) Requirement Analysis of Enterprise DRM systems. In Proceedings Information Security South Africa, Hotel Balalaika, Sandton, Johannesburg.
- Engdahl, B., Koksal, M. & Marsden, G. "Using Treemaps to Visualize Threaded Discussion Forums on PDAs", Proceedings CHI 2005, Portland, Oregon, pp. 1355-1359.
- Haumont, Denis, Otso Makinen and Shaun Nirenstein (2005) A Low Dimensional Framework for Exact Polygon-to-Polygon Occlusion Queries. In Bala, Kavita and Philip Dutre, Eds. Proceedings Eurographics Symposium on Rendering, pages 110-120, Konstanz, Germany.
- Landman, Jesse and Pieter Kritzinger (2005) Delay Analysis of Downlink IP Traffic on UMTS Mobile Networks. In Proceedings IFIP WG 7.3 International Symposium on Computer Performance, Modeling, Measurements and Evaluation, Juan-les-Pins, France.
- Marsden, G. & Tip, N. "Navigation Control for Mobile Virtual Environments". Proceedings MobileHCI 2005, Salzburg, Austria.
- Maunder, A., R. van Rooyen and H. Suleman (2005). "Designing a Universal Web Application Server", in Proceedings of SAICSIT 2005, 20-22 September, White River.
- Omar, M., A. Dalwai and H. Suleman (2005). "An Evaluation of QT E-Learning Standards in Resource-Limited Environments", in Proceedings of 7th Annual Conference on World Wide Web Applications, 29-31 August, Cape Town.
- Potgieter, Anet, Kurt A. April and Richard J. E. Cooke, Using Bayesian Agents to Enable Distributed Network Knowledge: A Critique, 4th International Critical Management Studies Conference, 4th-6th July, Cambridge, UK.
- Sikalinda, Paul G., Pieter S. Kritzinger and Lourens O. Walters (2005) Analyzing Storage System Workloads. In Proceedings Southern African Telecomunication Networks & Applications Conference, Central Drakensberg, Kwazulu Natal, South Africa.
- Suleman, H., F. Feng, S. Mhlongo and M. Omar (2005). "Flexing Digital Library Systems", in Proceedings of ICADL 2005, 12-15 December, Bangkok, Thailand.
- "Mobile Interaction Design" Jones, M. and Marsden, G. (2005) John Wiley and Sons
- Fox, E. A., H. Suleman, R. C. Gaur and D. P. Madalli (2005). Design Architecture: An Introduction and Overview, chapter in Y. Theng and S. Foo (eds): Design and Usability of Digital Libraries: Case Studies in the Asia Pacific, Information Science Publishing. ISBN: 159140442-8.
- Jones, Matt, Gary Marsden, Dominic Gruijters, Brendan Fry & Stephen Reid (2005). Using Mobile Phones & PDAs in Ad-hoc audience response systems. Chapter 24 in "Audience Response Systems" ISBN: 1-59140- 947-0
- Nichols, David, David Bainbridge, Sally Jo Cunningham, John Thompson, Stefan Boddie, Ian Witten, Marsden G., Patel, D., (2005) Chapter 10 , Evolving Tool Support for Digital Librarians, in "Design and Usability of Digital Libraries: Case Studies in the Asia Pacific", Idea Group Publishers, pp 171-191, ISBN 159140442-8
- Potgieter, Anet, Kurt April and Judith Bishop (2005) Complex Adaptive Enterprises, Idea Group Reference, ISBN: 1-59140-553-X.
- Arnab, Alapan, Duncan Bennett, Marlon Paulse and Andrew Hutchison (2005) Performance Implications of a Kernel Level DRM Controller. In Proceedings Southern African Telecommunicaion, Networks & Applications Conference (SATNAC) 2005, Central Drakensberg, South Africa.
- Perumal, S and PS Kritzinger (2005) Automation of RAID Controller Operation Using ROSTI. In Proceedings SATNAC 2005, Champagne Valley Sports Resort.
Other Conferences, Workshops and Excursions
- Gave an invited talk at Tuebingen University entitled "Warp Sculpting" in July 2005.
- Attended SIGGRAPH 2005 in Los Angeles, and served on International Committee.
- Mobile-HCI - Tutorial on Mobile Interaction Design
- Mobile Interaction Design presentation, Stirling University, UK
- Invited speaker at Creative Commons SA Commons Sense Conference, Wits University, Johannesburg, 25-27 May 2005.
- Research for Limestream (UK) to develop software for Mobile Handsets
- Presentation for Tellumat and iTouch on Mobile Interaction Design
- Formed company - Bijou Technologies - to commercialise mobile software from research students