The Department has private internet which is available to academic and selected administrative staff.
This service permits authorised staff to connect to the internet from their workstations on the UCT network. It consists of the following components:
- a 50 Gigabyte per month unshaped ADSL account,
- a 4 Mbps ADSL line, and
- a OpenVPN configuration
- Install openvpn
- Download csinet.conf and cs-ca.crt files and put them in /etc/openvpn
- Open a console or text terminal
- Login in as root or use sudo
- Run openvpn /etc/openvpn/csinet.conf
- When prompted enter your CS unix username and password
- Leave the console window running openvpn open
Mac OS XUse the following instructions to configure the CS Private Internet on Mac OS X.
- Download and install Tunnelblick.app in your application folder. You may want to include it in your start-up items (you can do this in the 'User' section of Preferences).Do not run Tunnelblick just yet.
- Create a folder called 'openvpn' in your local Library directory e.g. /Users/gaz/Library/openvpn/
- Download csinet.conf and cs-ca.crt files and put them in this folder.
- Run Tunnelblick. It will create an icon in the top-right of the screen, but will not appear in the dock.
- Click on the icon and select the "Connect 'csinet'"
- The connection should then just work!